Grief Camps are a great resource to help normalize individual reactions to grief by allowing children to interact with peers who have suffered similar loss. Grief camps engage children in therapeutic activities that incorporate art, writing, music and movement to help process feelings of grief. Children who attend grief camps learn to develop healthy coping skills while restoring a sense of normalcy with peers and surviving family members. The Center currently offers two different camp experiences for children, Camp Heroes and Hermann Sons Life Camp.
Your child may benefit from our program if you notice they are experiencing one or more of the following:
- have trouble concentrating in class
- come to your office often to seek attention, but have difficulty explaining why
- withdraw from peers or social activities they once enjoyed
- express frequent somatic complaints (headache or stomach ache)
- have increased anger outbursts
Camp Heroes is ideal for any child:
- Ages 7-11 years
- Currently enrolled in an elementary school
- Have experienced the death of a family member within the last two years
- Camp Heroes is held twice during the year. (March and November)
Our next Camp Heroes is November 2018! Application Deadline is Friday, November 2nd.
Hermann Sons Life Camp and the Children’s Bereavement Center of South Texas are partnering to offer children and teens a Grief Support Camp. Hermann Sons Life offers life insurance and annuities for its members and hosts camp sessions throughout the summer. Hermann Sons Life and Children’s Bereavement Center have joined together to provide this Grief Support Session to offer children and teens the opportunity to process their grief in a fun and inviting camp environment.
Hermann Sons Life Camp is ideal for any child:
- Ages 6-17 years
- Have experienced the death of a parent, brother or sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, close friend or other special person.
- The Hermann Sons Life Camp is held during the summer. (July)
Please contact the Center for more information on the camp process at [email protected] or (210)736-4847, ext. 241.
Read an article on the great work being done at Camp Hermann Sons HERE.
Can’t make it to San Antonio?
Follow the link below to find a grief camp in near you.